Monday, February 26, 2018

Mini Dresden Love - Island Batik Style

Each month the Island Batik Brand Ambassadors create a quilt based on our challenge theme for that specific month.  This month's challenge theme is Mini Love. 


Well, as a quilt maker who loves oversized blocks, anything MINI is a challenge for me! But as Kelly Clarkston's lyrics say "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger". So I started sketching and since I didn't want to do a lot of MINI piecing, I opted for some applique. I'm a huge fan of Dresden's and I discovered that with proper color placement, 3 bladed Dresden's form heart shapes!  I Love it... so MINI Dresden's = MINI Love!  Here is what my original design looked like.


After printing the patterns, I started selecting fabrics.  I swapped out some colors - primarily because I didn't have enough red or aqua to cut all the pieces I needed!  But I think the change to the darker purple was a good one. 



My Mini Dresden Love is made from a scrappy mix of Island Batik fabrics that I received as an Island Batik Brand Ambassador.  The products featured in this post were given to me by Island Batik and Aurifil.  To give the wall hanging some extra loft, I used a scrap of Hobbs Polydown batting that I had laying around. 

I tried a few new techniques while I was making Mini Dresden Love.  With contrasting color thread I wanted to emphasize the hearts that formed from the two matching color blades.  I outline stitched the heart shape and added some straight line fill. 


It worked but it's a bit too subtle.  I was hoping for a bolder look. Next time I try this I will use a thicker thread for more coverage. 
 

Well there's my Mini Dresden Love and if I don't stop typing this blog post will go from MINI to MAXI :)   Thanks for reading if you have made it to the end!

To keep up on everything I'm working on, be sure to follow me on Facebook or on IG @masterpiecequilting. 

2 comments:

  1. Very clever way to form heart shapes. And I like the contrast between the red dresden and the purple ones. It really brings the centre dresden forward in the pics.

    ReplyDelete